Toll Free


Call Us




Canada is officially a bilingual country (English and French). Thus, to the extent that the request is justified, government services are available in both official languages (thus, linguistic specificities).


In Quebec, however, living and working here is in French, in the language of the majority, and linguistic specificities ensue. The Charter of the French Language outlines the applicable rules in this matter.


Companies doing business in Quebec must communicate with customers in French, which means that all commercial documentation must be in that language.


In other parts of Canada, the English language is mostly used. However, it is possible to live as a francophone outside Quebec, in certain regions of Canada.


Foreigners admitted in the province of Quebec, under a temporary work permit, may educate their children in English for the duration of this permit, but this is subject to obtaining the necessary authorizations beforehand. If employment becomes permanent and there is an application for permanent residence to live permanently in Quebec, the children will need to attend a French school.


Knowledge of French is one of the criteria taken into account by Quebec as part of the selection process in an application for permanent residence in Quebec, as well as by certain other provinces, such as Ontario. A minimum intermediate/advanced level of French knowledge demonstrated by objective tests of French language proficiency or proof of years of study entirely in French is required, depending on the applicable program, when assessing the application for permanent residence.
Similar English language proficiency tests are required when making an application to reside permanently in another region of Canada or under the federal immigration program.

Contact us